Tuesday, May 17, 2011

La Violeta-Madrid, Spain

My family recently came back from their trip to Spain, which I had to jealously hear about while I was working back home. My one request to them was to visit a little store called La Violeta. I've read a lot about it, and was interested in seeing what all the excitement was about. The store is located in Madrid and has a maximum occupancy of about 4 people. Really small and almost impossible to fathom, but isn't it the small things that count? The store specializes in candy, pastries, and other small treats made with violet flowers, hence the name La Violeta. Duh, right? Anyway, my family successfully accomplished my request, with some trouble. The first being it was past closing time. Everything in Spain closes early on weekends, this day,4:00pm. :(


.....And the next day, it was raining....

Who would think going to a candy store would be so complicated? Well anyway, they were finally able to pick up a few things before they left Madrid, but I'm not sure whether all the trouble was worth it. They came back with some violet hard candies and also a violet infused chocolate bar. I was super excited, and started with trying the small hard candies which were delicately wrapped in a small plastic box tied with a ribbon and a little flower embellishment. The candy was at first rather good, and had a very sweet taste to it. As I kept it in for about a minute, the flavor changed to a strong flowery taste, almost like dish washing soap. I quickly had to spit it out. I wasn't ready to try the chocolate bar after that, but maybe sometime soon when I'm feeling risky. Some people like the taste, so it's up to you to decide your preference, but for now my violet chocolate bar sadly collects dust in my kitchen next to the unfinished box of hard candies. 
 



0 comments:

Post a Comment